The inspiration for a new recipe can come from anywhere. Sometimes it’s found in a meal we’ve had out where we’ve discovered an interesting new flavour combination, or sometimes it’s a delicious looking plate of food we’ve seen online that just looked so tasty we had to try making our own vegan version. I would love to say that the inspiration for this was born out of such romantic reason, but unfortunately, this time it wasn’t! Honestly, I was just hungry, and all we had in was some leftover tortillas and tofu. I’d just made our tofu scramble for some friends a few days before so it was on my mind, and I knew it would make the perfect base to create a breakfast quesadilla.
One of our favourite cuisines has to Mexican food, and we cook a lot of it at home, but somehow we’ve never tried making quesadillas before. I took some inspiration from the classic breakfast burrito, which sometimes has scrambled egg in and veganised it using tofu then paired it with a fresh and creamy guac, some spicy black beans with spinach and tomato and some lovely vegan cheese. I’d recommend using Tesco’s grated vegan cheese as it melts really well when heated in a pan, which really does make this a super easy recipe as you don’t have to faff around making homemade cheese!
This recipe may seem complex as there are quite a few ingredients, but don’t be put off by this as it really is very simple to make! If you’ve made our tofu scramble before then you’re already halfway there! If not, then don’t worry! All you do is throw the tofu in a pan with the rest of the seasonings and break it apart a bit, then within a few minutes, it’s cooked! The rest is throwing together a few key ingredients such as the black beans, spinach, tomato & avocado.
This is definitely a more hearty breakfast meal which requires a little more time to prepare, so it’s perfect for those cosy weekends at home or if you’re cooking up a big brunch for friends and family. It’s also pretty healthy too, containing a good balance of protein, vegetables and healthy fats, yet without compromising on any flavour! My favourite thing about this quesadilla is the satisfying crunch of the crispy tortilla shell. As you bite into, it breaks, making all the wonderful filling ooze out! The hard shell and the soft centre are a match made in heaven, and the black beans add in all the savoury Mexican spices which are complemented by the refreshing guacamole, lime and coriander.
It’s also a recipe that you can experiment with, adding in any of your other favourite ingredients. I recently made a quesadilla using this recipe as a base, where I then added in a cashew cream instead of grated cheese and swapped out the black beans and spinach for some frijoles that we had leftover from a dinner party. The whole thing was delicious! If you’re in the mood for a big breakfast or even a lunch, then this recipe is perfect.A
Vegan Breakfast Quesadilla
- 1/2 red onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 400 g can black bean, drained
- 1/2 tbsp fajita seasoning
- large pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 packed cup of spinach
- 10 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tbsp dairy-free butter
- 280 g pack of firm tofu, drained
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- big pinch of salt & pepper
- 2 avocados
- juice of a lemon
- pinch of salt and pepper
- a small handful of coriander, roughly chopped
- 4 tortillas
- grated vegan cheese
- drizzle of sriracha
- a small handful of coriander, roughly chopped
- Heat some oil in a saucepan on a medium heat, then add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and the black beans and cook for a further 4 minutes, then add in the fajita seasoning, salt and pepper then stir in and cook for 2 minutes. Add in the spinach then turn the heat down low, and cook for 5 minutes to let the spinach wilt, string occasionally.
- On a low heat, melt some dairy-free butter in a pan, then add the block of firm tofu and break it apart using a wooden spoon or spatula until it has a similar appearance to scrambled eggs. Add the almond milk, nutritional yeast, turmeric, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, lemon, salt & pepper. Then stir until everything is combined. Cook for 5 minutes on the lowest heat, string occasionally, to keep everything hot.
- Make the guacamole by mashing together avocado, lemon juice, salt, pepper & coriander.
- Add the chopped cherry tomatoes to the pan of black beans and gently stir them in.
- To construct the quesadillas, get a tortilla and fold it in half to create a line down the centre, then open it back up so it lays flat on a board. Spoon in a quarter of the guacamole and spread across half the tortilla up to the line you just created, then spoon on a quarter of the scrambled tofu, then sprinkle on some of the chopped coriander. Next spoon on a quarter of the black bean mixture, sprinkle with vegan cheese, squeeze some lime juice on and drizzle sriracha on top. Fold the other half of the tortilla over the filling to create a sandwich.
- Heat a large frying pan on a medium heat, then once it’s hot, lift the quesadilla into the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes, then flip it along the closed edge and cook for a further 2-3 minutes until the tortilla is toasted and the cheese looks melted. Repeat steps 8 and 9 to make the other quesadillas, cutting in half so you have triangle pockets.
If you gave this a go, we’d love to know how you got on! Write a comment, like, or share this recipe with your friends.