These vegan waffles are hands down the best waffles we’ve made at home. They are crispy, fluffy and excellent for an indulgent Sunday brunch. After trying these, I’m now convinced Sundays are made for vegan chicken and waffles. Topped with vegan chicken nuggets and an abundance of maple syrup, they are especially satisfying. When you cut into the waffles and hear the distinct crunch, you know you’re in for a treat.
The recipe we’ve created here makes 4 hearty waffles. When topped with the vegan chicken nuggets they’re enough to fill up both Freya and me till dinner.
We’d seen these tasty looking nuggets on the supermarket shelves for a while but never thought of a good recipe to use them in. After we came up with the concept for the waffles, the vegan chicken seemed like the ideal companion for them. They’re tender and have a beautifully crispy coating. You can pop them in the oven, but we chose to fry them in oil to make sure they’re extra crunchy!
Top with chives, maple syrup, and a generous dusting of icing sugar for a super delicious and decadent brunch!
The Best Vegan Chicken & Waffles
- Waffle Maker
- 1 + 3/4 cup white flour
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 5 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp aquafaba
- 1 + 3/4 cups plant milk
- 2 tsp cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup light oil
- 1 pack Squeaky Bean crispy vegan nuggets
- chives chopped
- maple syrup
- icing sugar
- Turn your waffle iron on to pre-heat.
- Add all the dry ingredients to a bowl and combine.
- Mix the cider vinegar and milk in a jug until curdled. In a separate bowl add the aquafaba and oil, then add in the vegan buttermilk (milk & vinegar mix) and stir until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir. Be careful not to over mix. You want the batter to be a bit lumpy as this helps the waffles be nice and fluffy.
- Oil the waffle iron, then pour the mixture into the iron and close the lid. Cook for about 8-10 minutes, depending on the size of your waffle iron, without lifting the lid. Wait until there’s no longer any steam coming out of the iron before lifting the lid.
- Whilst your waffles are cooking, shallow fry the Squeaky Bean nuggets.
- Top your waffles with vegan nuggets, chopped chives, maple syrup and icing sugar.
If you like these waffles then the chances are you’ll also love our super easy vegan banana pancakes!
We originally came up with the recipe for an Instagram stories takeover we did with Squeaky Bean who’s the company that produces the vegan chicken (however all of the opinions expressed are genuinely our own).