A vegan crepe recipe with a twist.
This chai spiced vegan crepe recipe is our take on the classic crepe, but with a spiced vegan twist. The chai infused dairy-free milk and the additional ground spices of ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice give these crepes a delicate, warming spice. We’ve substituted egg for mashed banana, which acts as a binder, and also gives a very very subtle banana flavour too. Then we’ve swapped out dairy milk for a non-dairy alternative. Our preferred milk for this recipe is almond milk, but oat milk or soya milk would also work too. You’ll note in this recipe we use a blender to mix the batter, this is due to the addition of banana so that there are no large clumps of it left in the batter. If you have time to leave your batter to rest in the fridge before cooking, this will help get rid of some of the air bubbles.
This recipe is perfect for pancake day.
You could enjoy these crepes at breakfast time, or even as a dessert after dinner. It’s a great way to celebrate or enjoy pancake day, especially if you’re looking for something a bit different! We love a simple crepe with lemon and sugar, but it’s always nice to mix things up and try something new! These chai-spiced crepes aren’t just for pancake day though. They would make a delicious weekend brunch with friends and family, with a choice of toppings for guests to choose from. They’re easy to make, but will be sure to impress.
Get creative with your crepe toppings.
For our recipe, we’ve topped these crepes with cinnamon sugar, dairy-free yoghurt and pistachios. It’s not too sweet, but adding a drizzle of maple or golden syrup would always give these a sweeter taste. Any kind of chopped nuts would be delicious, as well as some caramelised fruits, like pears or bananas. If you’re planning on having these for dessert, then we think topping these chai spiced crepes with vegan vanilla ice cream and some grated chocolate or chocolate sauce would also be super tasty. Feel free to get creative using your favourite toppings. These crepes go with almost everything!
This crepe recipe is:
- perfect for pancake day
- a twist on the classic crepe
- vegan, dairy-free & egg-free
- a delicious breakfast recipe
- simple & easy
If you like the sounds of these crepes, why not check out some of our other recipes:
- Five Ingredient Vegan Banana Pancakes
- Almond Crusted Stuffed Vegan French Toast
- Easy Chocolate & Cardamom Overnight Oats
Chai Spiced Vegan Crepes
For the crepes
- 550 ml almond milk
- 4 chai teabags
- 2 large bananas mashed
- 190 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
For the toppings
- cinnamon sugar
- dairy-free yoghurt
- Steep the chai tea bags in the almond milk in a saucepan over a low heat for ten minutes.
- Add the mashed banana, plain flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, cinnamon and chai infused almond milk in a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Transfer to a blender and blend for a couple of minutes or so.
- Heat some butter in a frying pan, then add a cupful of crepe batter and swirl around the pan into a circle. Cook for a few minutes, flipping until cooked.
- Top with cinnamon sugar, pistachios and dairy-free yoghurt.