If you follow us on Instagram, you might’ve seen us share this vegan meal on our stories before. We probably eat pimped up vegan tofu ramen about once a week, so we’re always posting pictures of it, but have never actually written a recipe for it, until now!
Our aim is to share with you a wide variety of delicious vegan food and real, easy meals that we actually eat. Sometimes we don’t make everything from scratch. We eat ready meals and ‘junk’ food and also smoothie bowls and salads. We obviously strive to be fit and healthy but we also think it’s important to find balance. When you’re in a rush it’s always good to know you can resort to some meals that don’t take ages to prepare but are still nutritious.
Charlie started making this for me years ago as a go-to meal for when I wasn’t feeling very well. I’d woken up with a horrible cold and later that day all I was craving was ramen. Neither of us was sure at the time how to make our own broth, so we improvised by using an instant noodle packet then added in lots of yummy veggies and tofu. It was so quick to make but also tasted really warming and comforting. It quickly became become one of our favourite quick meals and we’ve been eating it most weeks ever since!
It’s made with instant noodles, pan-fried tofu & broccoli, steamed pak choi, red pepper & carrot then topped with spring onion, radish, sesame seeds and sriracha mayo. It can be whipped up in under 30 minutes and only uses a handful of simple ingredients.
Pimped Up Vegan Tofu Ramen
- 2 packets instant noodles, we use the Kona Vegetable Flavour Oriental Noodles
- 800 ml boiling water
- 1/2 pack firm pressed tofu, sliced
- 1 pak choi
- 1 medium carrot, sliced into batons
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced into batons
- 1/2 a broccoli, cut into florets
- squeeze of lime
- spring onion, finely sliced
- radishes, sliced
- sriracha mayo
- sesame seeds
- wedge of lime
- Start by making the marinade for the tofu. Remove the flavour pouches from both the noodle packets and pour into a mixing bowl. Add in 400ml of boiling water and stir so that the flavouring has dissolved. Add the tofu slices to the bowl and set to one side to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Get 2 frying pans on the hob and heat up some oil in them. Add the broccoli florets to one pan and add the tofu slices face down to the other pan. Cook both the tofu and broccoli for 8 minutes on one side, then flip and cook for a further 8 minutes.
- After the tofu & broccoli has been cooking for about 5 minutes, start steaming the red pepper and carrot. This will need to be steamed for about 10 minutes. Add the pak choi in with the carrot and red pepper to steam for a few minutes at the end.
- You can now start making the noodles. Add the marinade mixture to a saucepan, along with an extra 400ml of boiling water. Bring it to a boil then add in the noodles and cook for 2 minutes.
- All the components should now be cooked. Before you assemble everything, add a squeeze of lime to the broccoli. Add the noodles to a bowl then top with the tofu, pak choi, carrots, red pepper and broccoli then sprinkle on some spring onion, radish and sesame seeds. Finish it off by drizzling over some sriracha mayo.
If you gave this a go, we’d love to know how you got on! Write a comment, like, or share this recipe with your friends.