This potato salad is the perfect summer dish!
It’s one of our favourite go-to lunchtime salads at the moment. This potato salad just never gets boring! The soft smashed potatoes go so well with the crunch from the green beans. The green olives give a delicious salty tanginess to the dish, and the lemon and dill and a lovely freshness. This would be perfect served as a side salad for a BBQ or picnic. Or served for lunch with a few other veggie salads, or on the side of a vegan tart.
This salad is a great alternative to the classic mayo-based potato salad. So if you’re not a fan of mayo, this salad may be for you! The addition of the vegan feta and the olives give this salad a Greek-inspired flavour, which always makes us think of holidays! We used Cauldron’s Greek style pieces for this recipe, which are essentially tofu pieces in herbs and oil. A dairy-free feta alternative like the Violife cheese also works really well! It has much more of that recognisable feta tang to it.
This salad recipe is super easy!
The majority of the work in this dish is simply boiling potatoes and green beans! The rest is adding fresh herbs and veggies from the fridge. What’s even better is that the whole thing can be made in advance. You can make it when you’ve got a spare moment and keep it covered in the fridge for a few days. It will still be just as delicious as the day you made it. If you decide to do this, we recommend keeping the red onion in its pickling juices. The longer they get to rest in the vinegar, the better!
This recipe is:
- perfect for summer
- great s a BBQ side dish
- fresh, tangy and herby
- vegan & dairy-free
Smashed Potato, Feta & Green Bean Vegan Salad
- 700 g mini potatoes
- 200 g green beans ends trimmed & cut in half
- 1 pack vegan feta
- 20 green olives roughly chopped
- 20 g dill roughly chopped
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 + 1/2 tbsp olive oil
QUICK PICKLED RED ONIONS
- 1/2 red onion finely sliced
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp water
- Make the quick-pickled red onion by adding the sliced red onion, cider vinegar, salt and water to a bowl. Stir, then leave to one side.
- Boil the potatoes with some salt for 20 minutes. After 15 minutes, add the green beans in with the potatoes and cook for the remaining 5 minutes.
- Once the potatoes and green beans are cooked, drain and rinse under cold water to cool them down and stop them from cooking.
- Place the green beans, potatoes into a large serving bowl, and using a fork, lightly press into the potatoes to smash them.
- Add to the bowl the quick pickled red onions and all the other ingredients and gently mix.
- 4.4g protein
- 38.3g carbs
- 20.9g fat