This sweet, sticky ginger tofu recipe is so addictive!
This tofu recipe is one of those meals Charlie and I could eat week after week; it’s honestly so addictive! The sweet ginger sauce, which coats the tofu, is full of flavour. Then, once added to a hot pan, it caramelises and goes lovely and sticky around the tofu cubes. The tofu sauce only has 5 ingredients in it, so it’s super simple to make. You’ll probably have most of the ingredients in your cupboards already. What also helps to make this tofu so delicious is the addition of cornflour. We coat the tofu cubes in a cornflour, garlic powder and black pepper mix. This makes the tofu go extra crispy and delicious! You could definitely eat it like this without adding the sauce, and it would be super tasty on its own. The crispy cornfloured tofu cube creates a barrier and surface for the sauce to stick to. Without pre-cooking the tofu in cornflour, the sauce wouldn’t coat the cubes and go as sticky and caramelised as it does, so this really is a crucial step to getting the stickiest tofu with a slight crispiness.
A 20-minute vegan meal perfect for quick weeknight dinners.
We all love meals that can be made in 30 minutes or less, and this recipe is one of them! It’s such a simple and easy recipe, and it only takes 20 minutes to prepare and cook. The prep involves grating some ginger and cutting your tofu block into cubes. The size of the cube you cut depends purely on your personal preferences. We cut ours into around 1-inch cubes. Once you’ve prepared everything you need to put your rice on to cook and fry the tofu cubes. That’s essentially all there is to this recipe. Minimal cooking and minimal washing up, but with maximum flavour! This tofu recipe ticks all the boxes for a great weeknight dinner, and we promise you’ll never get bored of eating it!
Add your favourite veggies to bulk out this super versatile tofu recipe.
If you want to get some extra veggies and nutrients into your meal, you could easily prepare your favourite veggies to have on the side. Any simply cooked vegetables would go wonderfully with the tofu and rice. We often do some steamed pak choi or quick, stir-fried veggies using whatever we have in the fridge. Vegetables like carrots, mushrooms, peppers, broccoli, cabbage and mangetout work really well with some fresh ginger, garlic and soy sauce.
This sweet, sticky ginger tofu recipe is:
- ready in 20 minutes
- perfect for quick weeknight dinners
- super addictive
- full of flavour
- vegan and dairy-free
If you enjoyed this recipe, try one of our other delicious recipes:
- Easy Aubergine And Tofu Hoisin Tray Bake Recipe
- Healthy Vegan Chopped Asian Salad With Gochujang Tofu
- Vegan Gochujang Tofu Noodle Bowl
Sweet, Sticky Ginger Tofu Recipe
For the sauce
- 2 tbsp ginger grated
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp agave or maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
For the tofu
- 1 pack of firm tofu cubed
- 30 g cornflour
- 1 tsp garlic powder or granules
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
For the rest of the dish
- Sticky white rice for 2
- Spring onion sliced
- Sesame seeds
- Make the sauce for the tofu. Combine the grated ginger, sesame oil, soy sauce, agave syrup and rice vinegar in a small bowl, then set aside.
- If you’re serving the tofu with rice, put it on to cook now.
- Add the cornflour, garlic powder and black pepper to a container with a lid, then stir to combine. Add the tofu cubes, put the lid on the container, and shake until all the tofu cubes are evenly coated in the cornflour mixture.
- Heat some oil in a large non-stick frying pan, once hot, add the tofu cubes to the pan. Leave them to cook for a few minutes, then flip. Leave them to cook for a few more minutes, then stir them regularly so all the sides are crispy and golden.
- Add the sauce in with the tofu, stirring quickly so the sauce coats and sticks to the tofu. It should be lovely and sticky and caramelised.
- Serve with rice, spring onion and sesame seeds.