We’ve been having the most incredible summer in London the past few months, with an ongoing heatwave that’s left everyone feeling like they’re on a never-ending holiday on the Costa Del Sol…or maybe that’s just me?! With all this hot weather we’ve been cooking up lots of vegan salad bowls, experimenting with different flavours and ingredients. One dish that always reminds me of summer is a big bowl of perfectly cooked new potatoes with butter and dill served up at a barbecue, so we knew this was something we had to incorporate into an abundant summer salad bowl, along with some crispy tofu!
You may recognise this salad from our “How To: Have a Vegan Picnic Post” where we made it up to take to Hampstead Heath for a picnic. We loved it so much we knew we had to write it up into a proper recipe so we could share it with you all! It’s full of lots of different delicious fruits and vegetables like kale, cucumber, tomatoes, potatoes, carrot & pomegranate seeds, and topped with some lovely crispy fried tofu pieces. The addition of dill and mint gives the dish a really delicate, fragrant flavour – perfect for a summer evening dinner! This salad can be served ‘warm’ straight from the pan to the plate as a light and healthy dinner, or cooked in advance and made into packed lunches for the week ahead, as all the ingredients keep really well in the fridge.
I know kale isn’t something everyone loves, and I was never a big fan of it either until I learnt I’d been cooking it all wrong! A few years ago my dad made the most gorgeous kale salad with sultanas and grated carrot, where the kale leaves were beautifully soft and tender. I learnt that the secret was to massage the kale leaves with salt, lemon and olive oil, which helped to soften the leaves and gave them some extra depth of flavour. We’ve nabbed his kale softening technique for our recipe, and combined it with some other salad greens, which makes for the perfect base for the rest of the ingredients.
If you’re in the mood for a healthy meal, but still want something filling and substantial, then this dish is perfect – it’s not just a bowl of leaves! The addition of the potato, tofu and the creamy tahini dressing really makes this salad feel like a proper meal that definitely won’t leave you feeling hungry. You could also take this along to a BBQ or picnic and have it as a smaller side dish along with something like this Black bean and beetroot burger, which also has dill in, which would make it the perfect companion!
Vegan Tofu And Dill Potato Summer Salad
- 1 pack tofu cubed (280g)
- 1 + 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 + 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 compacted cups kale, with all large stems removed
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 a lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 small-medium carrots, grated
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds + extra for garnishing
- 1/4 a cucumber cubed
- 12 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 cups salad leaves, use your favourite
- 3 sprigs fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 3-4 medium potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tbsp dairy-free butter
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 4 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 a lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Start by making the marinade for the tofu by adding apple cider vinegar, water, olive oil, brown sugar, paprika and salt to bowl and mixing. Then add your tofu cubes to the bowl and stir so that the marinade has covered the tofu, set aside, occasionally stirring.
- Add the potatoes to a pan of boiling water, then cover and lower the heat. Cook on a low heat for about 15 minutes until tender.
- Whilst your potatoes are cooking, make the salad base. Add the kale to a large mixing bowl, then add the olive oil, lemon juice & salt and massage it all together with your hands until the kale has softened. Then add to the bowl the grated carrot, pomegranate seeds, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, salad leaves & mint, then mix together.
- The potatoes should now be done. Drain them, then place them back in the same pan. Add the dairy-free butter, dill, salt & pepper stir until the potatoes are evenly covered.
- Then cook the tofu in a non-stick frying pan on medium-high heat, making sure to add all the remaining marinade mixture with tofu. Cook the tofu on one side for 5 minutes, then continue to toss the tofu cooking for a further 5-10 minutes until crispy. Whilst the tofu is cooking, make the tahini dressing. Add tahini, water, maple syrup, lemon juice, salt & pepper to a small bowl then mix until combined.
- Plate up your salad and top with the tahini dressing and the leftover pomegranate seeds.
If you gave this a go, we’d love to know how you got on! Write a comment, like, or share this recipe with your friends.