We first started making a version of these during the lockdown back in April, using some excess vodka we bought to make hand san when the shops ran out of it all. We quickly realised the vodka wasn’t anywhere near as strong as we needed it to be to make proper hand sanitiser. So naturally, we made it into cocktails instead! White Russians bring some of our favourite things together: coffee and alcohol, with an added dose of cream. What’s not to love?!
These White Russians are a vegan Christmassy twist on the classic cocktail. We’ve subbed the heavy cream for a dairy-free soya cream, and added in a homemade winter spiced simple syrup too. It may sound like a faff to make your own syrup, but trust us it isn’t, and it’s totally worth it! All you need to do is add equal parts water and sugar to a saucepan with a cinnamon stick, nutmeg, cloves and star anise. Then bring to the boil, whilst stirring the sugar, until it’s all dissolved. Once mixed with the vodka, coffee liquor and cream, you’re left with a super warming, creamy, and most importantly, delicious drink! Be careful not to gulp the whole thing down in one though…it’s very tempting!
Vegan Winter Spiced White Russians
Winter spiced simple syrup:
- 1/2 a cup water
- 1/2 a cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg
- 3 cloves
- 2 star anise
Winter spiced White Russians:
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 100 ml vodka
- 40 ml vegan coffee liquor we use Tia Maria
- 40 ml soya cream
- 1 tbsp winter spiced simple syrup
- Ice cubes
- Make the simple syrup by adding the water, sugar, cinnamon stick, nutmeg, cloves and star anise to a saucepan then bring to a boil, stirring until all the sugar has dissolved. Strain through a coffee filter so that there are no bits and just the liquid is remaining. Then leave to one side to cool.
- Add the brown sugar and cinnamon to a plate and mix together. Wet the rim of your glass then turn upside down and place onto your plate of cinnamon sugar, moving it about so that the sugar is distributed evenly around the rim.
- Now mix the vodka, coffee liquor, soya cream and winter spiced syrup together. Add some ice to your glasses, then pour over the mixture.
If you gave this a go, we’d love to know how you got on! Write a comment, like, or share this recipe with your friends.