We initially created this vegan chorizo and chickpea stew recipe in preparation for a post coming next week. Spoiler: it’s going to be a guide on the many different ways you can add protein to a vegan diet, so keep your eyes peeled for that! We wanted to include a part on the little wonders that are chickpeas, so we set ourselves a chickpea challenge; this week Freya and I needed to share with you an original delicious chickpea recipe. This delicious stew is packed full of flavour and simple to make. Since it only uses one pot, it saves you on washing up!
Some key ingredients are the vegan chorizo, chickpeas and sweet potato. We decided on using vegan chorizo for both its flavour and the protein. To accentuate those deep smokey and spicy flavours we’ve added extra dry spices and herbs often found in the chorizo, such as smoked paprika and oregano.
The chickpeas work so well in this stew because they act like creamy little flavour pods as they soften into the broth and absorb all the flavours. They’re also the perfect way to boost the amount of protein in a dish like this whilst also getting in some extra veggies.
The sweet potato is delicious in the spicy savoury stew since it adds a much-needed sweetness that rounds out the deep spicy flavours. This stew is also filled with lots of other tasty veggies like red pepper and kale. Serve this with some crusty bread and fresh parsley, or just have it on its own for a lighter meal, as it’ll still be delicious! This is such a quick and easy meal to make and would be the perfect dish for any night of the week.
One Pot Vegan Chickpea & Chorizo Stew
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 packet vegan chorizo, sliced (280g packet)
- 1 red pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 20 whole cherry tomatoes
- 1 sweet potato, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1 tin chickpeas, 400g
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder, add more if you love spicy food
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes, 400g
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 2 cups kale, packed with stems removed
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- fresh parsley
- crusty bread
- Heat the oil in a large pan on medium heat. Once hot add in the onion and cook for a few minutes. Next, add in the vegan chorizo and cook for a further few minutes. Then add in the red pepper and garlic and stir together, cooking on a low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- After this has softened, add into the pan the cherry tomatoes, sweet potato and chickpeas and stir together. Then add in the salt, pepper, cumin, smoked paprika, chilli powder, dried oregano & dried parsley and stir together. Now add in the chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock & kale. Stir together then turn the heat up and bring to a boil. Then cover and simmer on a low heat for 15 minutes.
- The stew should now be ready. Check the sweet potato is soft and has cooked all the way through, then stir in some fresh parsley, leaving some aside to garnish, and the juice of half a lemon. Serve with some crusty bread and fresh parsley.
If you gave this a go, we’d love to know how you got on! Write a comment, like, or share this recipe with your friends.