Here’s a second helping of our autumnal vegan porridge recipes; Apple and Blackberry Crumble Porridge. Now I know this is usually served as dessert but we love having pudding for breakfast! This recipe is perfect for this time of year, using seasonal ingredients which create a deliciously warming dish. Despite the inspiration coming from a dessert, this porridge bowl has a surprisingly fresh taste and isn’t too sweet, making it the perfect way to start your day.
I have fond memories of my mum cooking up a rustic apple crumble in the autumnal months. She would make them in a super simple way, using freshly baked apples for the filling and oats to make the crumble. So there was something so nostalgic and familiar for me when creating this recipe. I knew immediately that it would be delicious.
We chose to use granola to add the crumble topping to the oats. This quick shortcut saves you time from having to roast your own oats in the oven. The applesauce is such a time saver too! By using the pre-made applesauce, this porridge is super simple and so quick to make. It can be easily whipped up in a moments notice. However, if you have some crisp cooking apples laying around and some time on your hands, as an alternative you could bake an apple with a little sugar until it’s consistency resembles applesauce. This way the apple flavours would be as fresh as possible.
If you’re a fan of sweeter porridge toppings then you could add some extra sweetness to this by either mixing some brown sugar into the porridge while it’s cooking, or you could simply sprinkle some on the top.
Autumnal Vegan Apple & Blackberry Crumble Porridge
- 1 cup whole porridge oats
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 8 fresh blackberries, halved
- fresh apple slices
- fresh blackberries
- granola crumble topping
- dairy-free cream or creme fraiche
- Add the oats, almond milk, apple sauce, cinnamon and nutmeg to a saucepan, then cook on a low heat for 8 minutes, string thoroughly so all the ingredients combine. Add in half of the blackberries then cook for a further 8 minutes, string until the porridge is creamy and all the liquid has gone.
- Serve in a bowl topped with fresh slices of apple, the remaining blackberries, granola ‘crumble’ topping and dairy-free cream or creme fraiche.
If you gave this a go, we’d love to know how you got on! Write a comment, like, or share this recipe with your friends.