This chicekn tikka bhaji burger is the ultimate super-stacked vegan burger. It’s got all our favourite elements from an Indian takeaway; mango chutney, raita, vegan chicken tikka pieces, onion bhajis and Bombay mix. The combination of sweet, spicy and tangy flavours really pack a punch when you take a bite of this delicious vegan burger! Onion bhajis are easily one of our favourite foods, so we thought why not combine it with another of our favourite foods; the burger!
Why not make this vegan chicken tikka bhaji burger for your next weekend movie night?
Serve with Indian spiced fries and some kachumber, which is a cucumber and tomato-based Indian salad. It will go down a treat with the whole family, or even just for yourself! It doesn’t take too long to cook either. Most of it is easy to prep like making the raita and frying the Squeaky Bean Chicken Tikka Style Pieces. The main cooking element is making the onion bhajis. You don’t need many ingredients for them, but the key to good bhajis is adding salt to your sliced onions to draw out the water, and some really hot oil to fry them in. We shallow fry as to not waste too much oil, but you could deep fry too. Either way, you just want them to be lovely and crispy!
For this recipe, we’ve used vegan brioche buns. They’re not essential but we really liked the sweetness of the bread with the spicy Indian flavours within. Any burger bun would great though.
Vegan Chicken Tikka Bhaji Burger
- 2 white onion sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 + 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 + 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp madras curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 tbsp gram flour
- 1 30g bag coriander
- 1/2 cup plain vegan yoghurt
- 1 inch cucumber grated
- 1 tbsp mint chopped
- 1 tbsp coriander chopped
- 1/2 lime juice
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- vegetable oil
- 2 vegan brioche burger buns
- mango chutney
- cucumber slices
- squeaky bean chicken tikka style pieces
- coriander chopped
- bombay mix
- lime juice
- Place the sliced onion in a large mixing bowl, cover with the salt, mix, then leave to one side to rest.
- Whilst the onions are resting, make the raita by adding to a bowl the vegan yoghurt, grated cucumber, mint, coriander, lime juice, cumin, salt and pepper. Then stir to combine.
- Get your bowl of sliced onions and add the turmeric, garam masala, madras curry powder, cumin, garlic granules, black pepper, gram flour and chopped coriander. Using your hands, massage the ingredients into the onions until everything is combined. Then form into 2 large patties.
- Heat 5ml of vegetable oil in a frying pan until hot. Add the bhajis to the pan and cook for a few minutes until crispy, then flip and cook for a further 3-5 minutes. Remove them from the pan and place on some kitchen roll to absorb any excess oil. Leave in a warm oven to keep hot.
- Now cook the vegan chicken-style tikka pieces as per the packet instructions.
- Add all the elements into your burger bun and enjoy!
If you like these waffles then the chances are you’ll also love our vegan beetroot & black bean burger!
This recipe was originally created for an Instagram stories takeover we did for Squeaky Bean, who make the delicious vegan chicken tikka style pieces in this recipe. However, this specific blog post is not sponsered.