It’s recipes like this one that I think really represents what our blog is about: simple home-cooked food, that just happens to be vegan! There are still people that think you have to give up every indulgence or spend a tonne of time and effort using obscure ingredients and crazy Heston Blumenthal style techniques to make recipes that would otherwise be super simple.
This Chocolate & Peanut Butter Crispy Cake shows unequivocally that this assumption isn’t true. Taking minimal effort and only 20 minutes to produce (pre-fridge), they really are so simple! In fact, I am confident that at some point in your life, vegan or not, most of you will have made a version of this recipe, it’s a childhood classic!
My favourite thing about this recipe is the addition of peanuts. Chocolate and peanut butter is such a classic combination, the peanut butter drizzle on top adds a slightly salty flavour that really helps accentuate the sweetness of the chocolate and the peanuts that are added into the mixture add a lovely extra crunch to the texture.
The other addition we’ve added are the raspberries on the top, which are a great tart counter to the sweetness of the crispy cakes. I would recommend at least one raspberry per slice, but 2 or 3 is always better.
These crispy cakes are perfect to make when you are short on time. The cooking process only takes about 20 minutes; however, they do need time to chill afterwards. We recommend an overnight chill in the fridge, so some pre-planning is needed, but if you simply cannot wait then around 2 hours should do it. And if you really can’t wait that long, there are no judgements if you want to eat it straight out the bowl with a spoon, we’ve all been there.
Vegan Chocolate And Peanut Butter Crispy Squares
- 200 g dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup dairy-free butter
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 5 cups rice crispies
- 1 cup peanuts
PEANUT BUTTER DRIZZLE
- 1 1/2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- Melt the dark chocolate in a large mixing bowl. Once the chocolate has melted, remove from the heat and stir in the butter until it has melted and combined with the chocolate. Then add in the golden syrup and peanut butter and stir until it’s completely combined. Add the rice crispy’s to the bowl of melted chocolate and stir together.
- Place the peanuts in a zip lock bag and crush using a rolling pin, then add to the mixing bowl and stir into the rice crispy mixture.
- Line a 20cm x 30cm x 5cm baking tray with baking parchment then pour the mixture in and spread out into an even layer, flattening with the back of a spoon.
- Mix the peanut butter, icing sugar and almond milk together in a bowl, then drizzle in a zig-zag pattern across your mixture.
- Place the tray into the fridge to set, preferably overnight, but if not 2-3 hours will be enough. When they’re ready to eat, slice into squares and top with fresh raspberries.
If you gave this a go, we’d love to know how you got on! Write a comment, like, or share this recipe with your friends.