This hearty and satisfying vegan Mediterranean tomato and bean soup is so easy to throw together. I find it’s the perfect meal to warm me up after a long walk when all I want to do is cook up something quick and hot so I can rest my feet and cosy up. We have a little walk by our place, it’s an overgrown disused railroad track that’s lined with trees and shrubs. It’s a haven, our little escape into nature. One of my favourite things about walking along the track is that it’s a hotspot for dog walkers. Every time we go, without fail, we see so many cute dogs! I digress.
This soup really is really great. It’s a proper hearty autumnal dish that’s full of big and bold flavours. The basic recipe for it was handed over to me from my dad. He made it one time when we were visiting my folks in Bristol. I’m pretty sure it was just a mix of things he had leftover in the fridge. We both loved it so much we had to ask him to write up a simple recipe for us. We adapted his recipe, each time we cooked it we made little changes like adding the beans for extra protein. Slowly it became this recipe we share with you today.
We encourage you to do the same thing with this recipe! We really love it, we have made it our own and it’s perfect for our tastes. One of the best things about a simple recipe like this is that you can add to it. You could try adding a different bean, other spices, or roasted red peppers for example. You can take this recipe and really experiment with, put a little spin on it and make it your own! That’s how we ended up with this recipe we love.
We think it makes a delicious and filling lunch. Pair it with some nice crusty bread and you have a delicious rustic combo. You could cook it up in a big batch and keep it in the freezer, just put it in a pan and heat up for a delicious hot meal in under 5 mins! However, you could just as easily serve it as a starter for a dinner party. Following it up with a delicious pasta dish like the bolognese recipe we have on our blog! We guarantee your guests will be satisfied.
Vegan Mediterranean Tomato & Cannellini Bean Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped into medium-sized chunks
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 x 400 g tins of tomatoes
- 400 g tin cannellini beans
- 1 + 3/4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- fresh parsley
- serve with fresh crusty bread
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan on medium heat, then add in the onions and garlic and cook for 5 minutes until soft and translucent. Then add the carrots and celery to the pan and cook on a low heat for 10 minutes. Next, add in the tinned tomatoes, cannellini beans and stock and give it a good stir and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat down so it’s simmering and add in the bay leaves, oregano, rosemary, salt and pepper, then stir. Cover, then cook on a low heat for 25 minutes.
- Serve with fresh parsley and crusty bread.
If you gave this a go, we’d love to know how you got on! Write a comment, like, or share this recipe with your friends.