We’ve made some big improvements to our scrambled tofu!
Scrambled tofu is an absolute classic dish in our house. We love to have it at breakfast on a slice of toast and for brunch as part of our Simple Vegan Shakshuka With Easy Tofu Scramble. We have already published a recipe for making it with firm tofu which you can read as part of our recipe for Vegan Tofu & Sweet Potato Scramble On Toast. The reason we are posting a new recipe for our delicious vegan tofu scramble is that we’ve made a couple of upgrades!
The first thing we’ve learned is that making scrambled tofu is so much better if you can use silken tofu.
Silken tofu is essentially the same ingredient as firm tofu, but it’s packaged and sold before it’s had so much of the liquid pressed out of it. It’s got a looser texture due to the extra water, which means it’s so much simpler to cook with since you don’t need to add any liquid (like almond milk). And, it’s the texture’s much closer to scrambled chicken’s eggs when it’s cooked.
The second thing that we’ve improved upon the old recipe is using the wonder spice, Kala Namak.
Also often referred to as Black Rock Salt, Kala Namak basically salt with a very sulfurous eggy smell and taste. When I say this is a wonder spice I mean it; it’s essentially a magic salt that makes things taste like eggs! Perfect for recipes exactly like our scrambled tofu, or anything that you may want to give an egg-like flavour to, watch this space for a new and improved Vegan Carbonara With Tofu ‘Bacon’ Bits!
These recipe is:
- Enjoyed simply on toast
- Vegan & dairy-free
- An improvement on our old recipe
if you liked this post then take a look at:
- Simple Vegan Shakshuka With Easy Tofu Scramble
- Easy Vegan Fry-Up
- Four Delicious Vegan Toast Topping Ideas
Easy Vegan Scrambled Tofu
- 1/2 tbsp dairy-free butter
- 1 carton silken tofu 300g
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp onion granules
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp kala namak
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- On a moderate heat, melt the dairy-free butter in a pan, then add the silken tofu and break it apart using a wooden spoon or spatula until it has a similar appearance to scrambled eggs.
- Add the nutritional yeast, garlic granules, onion granules, turmeric, kala namak & pepper. Then stir until everything is combined.
- Cook for 10 – 15 minutes and then place on a low heat, string occasionally, to keep it hot.
- 12.5g protein
- 7.2g carbs
- 7.2g fat