Brussels sprouts often get a bad rap, but this Brussels sprouts recipe is sure to change your mind about this classic veggie.
Brussels sprouts are a beloved vegetable for many people. They are nutritious, flavorful, and versatile. However, not everyone is a fan of the cruciferous veggie. But fear not! We’ve got a recipe that is sure to change your mind. This Marmite & vegan bacon Brussels sprouts recipe is a game-changer. The combination of the deep, dark, umami-rich marmite and savoury vegan bacon will take your taste buds on a wild ride. Plus, it’s a quick and easy side dish that pairs perfectly with a variety of main courses. Whether you’re cooking for a holiday meal or a weeknight dinner, this recipe is sure to be a hit.
Growing up, I, much like a lot of kids, was never a fan of Brussels sprouts. It wasn’t until I tried this recipe that I properly fell in love with them. The combination of the salty, savoury Marmite with the crispy vegan bacon bits completely transformed the taste of the sprouts. Now, we make this dish for all our friends and family, and it’s always a hit. Trust us, this recipe will change the way you feel about Brussels sprouts too.
An incredible combination of flavours.
The combination of Marmite and bacon bits add a unique depth of flavour to the Brussels sprouts that are truly irresistible. The Marmite gives the dish a savoury, salty umami taste, while the vegan bacon bits add a smoky, meaty flavour that pairs perfectly with the earthy taste of the sprouts. The dish is a balance of sweet and savoury flavours with a slightly bitter aftertaste from the sprouts.
This dish creates a delightful contrast in texture between the crispy bacon bits and the tender, caramelized sprouts. The Brussels sprouts take on a beautiful golden-brown colour from being cooked cut-face down in the pan. The Marmite glaze adds a beautiful sheen to the dish, making it look almost too good to eat. Even the kids will want to try!
A Brussels sprouts recipe you’ll want to have again and again.
If you’re looking to introduce new flavours into your meals or want to give Brussels sprouts another chance, this recipe is the perfect way to do so. Plus, Brussels sprouts are incredibly nutritious, and packed with fibre, vitamins, and antioxidants. With this recipe, you can enjoy all the health benefits of this veggie while indulging in a delicious, flavorful dish.
To make this recipe, you’ll need:
- brussels sprouts
- vegan butter
- vegan bacon bits (La Vie)
To prepare this dish, you need to:
- Prepare the Brussels sprouts by trimming the stem and removing any damaged outer leaves. Cut them in half vertically.
- Melt vegan butter in a medium-sized pan on medium heat. Add the halved Brussels sprouts to the pan, with the cut side down. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the sprouts begin to turn golden brown.
- Add the vegan bacon bits to the pan and stir gently, making sure not to flip the sprouts over. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until the sprouts are golden brown and the bacon is crispy.
- Stir everything together in the pan. Add the Marmite and stir for 5-10 more minutes, until the sprouts are coated in a deep, dark, umami-rich glaze. If the sprouts begin to stick, add a splash of water.
- Add another splash of water to the pan and cover it with a lid. Allow the sprouts to steam for 10 minutes.
- Give everything a final mix, plate up and serve!
Our top tips for perfect Brussels sprouts:
- If you can’t find vegan bacon bits, you can use vegan bacon rashers instead. Just cut them into small pieces before adding them to the pan.
- The Marmite in this recipe can be replaced with Vegemite if you prefer.
- Don’t be afraid to adjust the cooking times to suit your preferences. If you like your sprouts to be softer, cook them for a few extra minutes.
- Make sure to flip the sprouts cut side down when cooking, as this will give them a nice golden brown colour and caramelized flavour.
- The key to getting the perfect Marmite glaze is to stir the sprouts frequently while adding the Marmite. This ensures that each sprout is coated evenly.
This Marmite and vegan Brussels sprouts recipe is:
- perfectly savoury
- rich and satisfying
- a wonderful side dish for any occasion
- 100% vegan & dairy free
Brussels sprouts are a delicious and healthy vegetable that is often overlooked. However, with the addition of Marmite and vegan bacon, they are transformed into a savoury, umami-rich side dish that will have everyone asking for seconds. This recipe is easy to make and perfect for any occasion, and will almost certainly become a new favourite in your recipe book. So why not give it a try and see for yourself how delicious Brussels sprouts can be?
If you like the sounds of this recipe, why not try one of our other delicious side dishes:
- simple lemony roasted asparagus
- super creamy lemon and garlic butter bean mash
- fresh edamame and mango salsa
Watch how to make it step by step:
Simple Marmite & vegan bacon Brussels sprouts recipe
For the sprouts
- 500 g bag of brussels sprouts halved
- 4 tbsp degan butter
- 4 tbsp marmite
- 150 g vegan bacon bits we used the brand La Vie
- Prepare your sprouts by taking out the other layer and cutting them in half vertically.
- Melt some butter on a medium heat and toss your sprouts in the butter. Turn the sprouts so they are cut face down to the pan, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in the vegan bacon and stir gently, making sure not to flip any sprouts. Cook for a further 5 mins until the sprouts begin to turn golden on the cut faces.
- Stir everything together, no longer worrying about the orientation of the sprouts. Add in the marmite, give a good mix, and stir for 5-10 more minutes. Add in a splash of water if they stick.
- Add in another splash of water and cover with a lid, allow everything to steam together for 10 minutes.
- Give everything a final mix and plate up and serve.