Our take on a classic Italian pasta recipe.
Looking for a pasta recipe that’s both delicious and nutritious? You’re in luck! One of our favourite quick go-to meals has got to be spaghetti aglio e olio. It’s become our number one pasta recipe as it has some of our favourite Italian flavours: olive oil, garlic, parsley and chilli. It’s such a comforting meal and something that we eat almost weekly. We also love experimenting with traditional dishes and turning them into something new. This roasted squash and cavolo nero pasta is exactly that! We’ve taken the beloved spaghetti aglio e olio and added some of our other favourite things: roasted chickpeas for a crunch and extra protein, sweet roasted butternut squash and cavolo nero for added greens.
Roasted squash & chickpeas pasta recipe: a burst of flavour and nutrition.
This roasted squash and chickpeas pasta recipe is a delightful combination of sweet and savoury, soft and crunchy, and healthy and satisfying. With just a few simple ingredients, this recipe is not only easy to make, but also packs a punch in terms of flavour and nutrition.
The butternut squash and chickpeas in this pasta recipe are roasted to perfection, giving them a delicious caramelized flavour and a satisfying crunch. The natural sweetness of the roasted squash complements the nutty taste of the chickpeas, creating a flavourful base for the rest of the ingredients to shine.
The cavolo nero added to the more traditional base aglio e olio is simple yet flavourful and brings this pasta dish to the next level. The garlic is sliced and sautéed in olive oil until golden brown and fragrant, adding a rich flavour to the dish. The cavolo nero (Tuscan kale) is then added to the pan, along with some chilli flakes and cooked until tender.
A super simple recipe, using only 8 main ingredients! Here’s what you’ll need:
- butternut squash
- can of chickpeas
- olive oil
- fresh parsley
- cavolo nero
- chilli flakes
Our top tips for the perfect squash and cavolo nero pasta:
- Don’t overcook the squash: Overcooked squash can become mushy and lose its texture, so be sure to keep an eye on it while roasting. You want the squash to be tender, but still, hold its shape and have a slight bite to it.
- Use good quality olive oil: Since the cavolo nero aglio e olio sauce is made with olive oil, using high-quality oil will make a big difference in the overall flavour of the dish. Look for extra-virgin olive oil for the best flavour and nutritional benefits.
- Serve with a side salad: While this pasta dish is nutritious on its own, serving it with a side salad will add more variety to your meal. A simple green salad with fennel shavings, olives, lemon and olive oil dressing would be a perfect complement to the roasted squash and chickpeas.
- Make it your own: This pasta recipe is highly adaptable, so feel free to add your own twist to it. For example, you could add some olives and sun-dried tomatoes for a pop of colour and flavour, or toss in some toasted pine nuts for extra crunch.
- Don’t forget the vegan Parmesan: A vegan Parmesan cheese is an important finishing touch to this pasta dish, adding a salty and nutty flavour that ties everything together. You can buy one from the shop, or make a cashew parmesan at home. Simply blitz cashews and nutritional yeast together with some salt, and sprinkle liberally on your pasta.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to make the most of this delicious and healthy roasted squash and chickpeas pasta recipe. So go ahead, get creative, and enjoy!
This simple pasta recipe is:
- simple and delicious
- full of lovely Italian flavours
- only 8 ingredients
If you enjoyed this dish, why not try one of our others:
- Roasted garlic, tomato and squash one-pot pasta
- Creamy mushroom mustard pasta
- Super greens vegan pesto pasta
Watch us make this recipe step by step:
Easy 8 ingredient roasted squash & cavolo nero pasta recipe
For the roasted squash & chickpeas
- 1/2 butternut squash cubed
- 1 400 g can of chickpeas
For the cavolo nero aglio e olio
- 4 cloves of garlic sliced
- a large handful of parsley roughly chopped
- 50 g of cavolo nero leaves roughly chopped (about 2 handfuls)
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6.
- Add the butternut squash and chickpeas to a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Drizzle with 2-3 tablespoons of oil, and season with salt and pepper. Toss the ingredients together until they’re evenly coated with the seasoning. Roast the butternut squash and chickpeas in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until they’re tender and golden brown.
- While the butternut squash and chickpeas are roasting, start the sauce. Heat up a large frying pan over low heat. Add the olive oil, sliced garlic, and the chopped parsley to the pan. Slowly heat up everything together, stirring occasionally. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until the garlic is fragrant and slightly golden.
- Once the garlic and parsley are cooked, add the chopped cavolo nero leaves and chilli flakes to the pan. Stir everything together and cook for a few minutes until the cavolo nero is slightly wilted and bright green in colour.
- While the cavolo nero is cooking, bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook the spaghetti according to the package instructions until it’s al dente.
- Once the butternut squash and chickpeas are done roasting, add them to the frying pan with the garlic, parsley, cavolo nero, and chilli flakes. Stir everything together until the vegetables are evenly distributed.
- Drain the cooked spaghetti and add it to the frying pan. Toss everything together until the spaghetti is coated in the vegetable mixture.
- Season the pasta with more salt and pepper to taste. Plate the pasta and top it with fresh parsley and extra chilli flakes for more spice, if desired.