This creamy mushroom pasta recipe is simple but delicious.
When creating vegan recipes, I often find that the more simple an initial idea is, the better the results turn out to be. This recipe was created with a fairly basic idea; vegan creamy mushroom pasta. We wanted to create a dish that was comforting and familiar, but which also had a little twist. Freya and I often work best together when we’re in the kitchen, experimenting with flavours as we go. So that’s what we did with this recipe.
A simple dinner recipe with a zingy twist.
We knew we wanted our creamy pasta to have a bit of a kick to it, to keep it from being overly rich. One of our favourite ways of doing this is by adding some acidity and salt. We’ve added both capers and wholegrain mustard to do this. The capers are lovely and salty and go so well with earthy mushrooms, and the wholegrain mustard has a punchy acidic element along with its spice.
This mushroom pasta recipe is super creamy without the dairy!
There are lots of ways to make creamy pasta without using dairy cream. You can use shop-bought vegan cream alternatives, blended butter beans, silken tofu and coconut milk to name a few. Our favourite by far is cashew cream! I love how it’s earthy and sweet it is. When the cashews are blended with some nutritional yeast, it creates a thick creamy sauce and lovely cheesy flavour. Although we dialled the nutritional yeast back in this recipe to make sure it wasn’t super cheesy, we did make sure to add just enough to get the umami flavours needed. The olive oil we added to the cashew cream also emulsifies it and makes it even smoother and thicker.
An easy vegan dinner recipe for any occasion.
Our vegan creamy mushroom pasta is perfect for a no-fuss easy cooking night at home. Yet, even though it’s basically comfort food, it’s also a perfect meal to cook if you’ve got family and friends over. Pasta dishes like this one are always a winner, and in my opinion, go perfectly with a glass of white wine. Whether it’s a weeknight meal or a vegan dinner party, we’re sure you’ll love this recipe.
This creamy mushroom pasta recipe is:
- great for dinner parties
- ideal for a weeknight meal
- vegan and dairy-free
- creamy and delicious
If you like the sound of this recipe, why not try these:
Creamy Mustard Mushroom Pasta
For the mushrooms
- 1 tbsp dairy-free butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves sliced
- 250 g mushrooms sliced
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 tbsp thyme
- pinch of salt & pepper to taste
- 100 ml white wine
- squeeze of lemon
For the creamy mustard sauce
- 50 g cashews
- 80 ml almond milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 tsp salt
For the rest of the dish
- 200 g tagliatelle
- fresh thyme
- extra lemon wedges
- Start by adding the cashews to a pan of boiling water on the hob and leave to soften whilst you make the pasta.
- Heat the dairy-free butter and oil in a large frying pan. Once melted, add the garlic and mushrooms, and cook for a few minutes. Next, add in the capers, thyme, salt and pepper. Stir on medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add in the white wine and stir until all the liquid has gone. Add in the lemon, stir, and turn the heat down low.
- Put the tagliatelle on to cook.
- Drain the water from the cashews then add them to a blender with the almond milk, olive oil, nutritional yeast, wholegrain mustard, lemon juice and salt. Blend until smooth.
- Once the pasta is done, drain, leaving some pasta water back. Then add the pasta to the mushrooms along with the cashew cream, and a little pasta water if needed. Stir everything well so the sauce has coated the pasta and mushrooms.
- Serve with fresh thyme and lemon wedges.