We love vegan tacos
If you do a quick search on our blog, the cuisine you’ll most often find is undoubtedly Mexican. We are by no means experts on traditional Mexican food, but we sure do love eating it! Out of all the different kinds of dishes that are synonymous with Mexico, the humble taco is easily my favourite. I love vegan tacos! One of the most memorable experiences Freya and I have ever had is a vegan food tour of Mexico City. During the whole trip, and particularly throughout the vegan street food tour, I began to understand the breadth and complexity of authentic Mexican food, and it opened my eyes. The boring fajita kits that you see on the shelves of our UK supermarkets don’t even begin to scratch the surface!
These tacos are inspired by our trip through Mexico
We ate so many different delicious vegan tacos during our stay, and this taco is inspired by one of Mexico’s most unique flavours; the deep, rich, and dark mole. The vegan mince is cooked in ancho and chipotle chillis to add a lovely sweet and smokey heat. We’ve also added in some dark chocolate to increase the dark and savoury umami tastes.
Perfect food for a dinner party
This is the kind of dish that is both ideal for impressing your friends at a dinner party, but also a great dish to make yourself for a weeknight dinner treat. We’ve included our recipe for a gorgeous ruby red pomegranate salsa too. The pomegranate adds an elegant jewelled look to the salsa and a beautiful sweet taste.
Serve these vegan mince tacos up with a dollop of the avocado sauce, a spoonful of red pomegranate salsa, some crispy lettuce and a few crumbled pieces of vegan feta. Delicious!
These tacos are:
- Perfect for a dinner party
- Vegan & dairy-free
- Rich & delicious
if you liked this post then take a look at:
Vegan Mince Tacos with Smokey Ancho Chilli
- 8 cherry tomatoes diced
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 80 g pomegranate seeds
- 1 small handful fresh coriander leaves stems removed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
Smokey Ancho Chilli Mince
- 1 glug light cooking oil
- 1/2 whole white onion diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 200 g vegan mince we used 1/2 a pack of Meatless Farm Co vegan mince
- 4 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp water
- 50 g dark chocolate chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 tsp ancho chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp dried coriander
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4-6 tortillas preferably corn
- 1 iceburg lettuce finely shredded
- vegan feta crumbled
- avocado sauce see our recipe in the notes
- Make the pomegranate salsa. Add all the ingredients (tomatoes, red onion, pomegranate, coriander, salt and pepper) to a bowl, stir, then leave to one side.
- Now make the avocado sauce. Add the avocado, lime juice, water and salt to a blender and blend until smooth. Set to one side.
- Add the oil to a frying pan and heat on medium. Add in the onion and garlic and cook for a few minutes. Then add in the vegan mince, stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add the tomato puree, water, chocolate, ancho and chipotle chilli flakes. Turn the heat down low, and stir until all the chocolate has melted. Add the rest of the spices: coriander, oregano, smoked paprika, cumin, allspice, cinnamon, salt & pepper. Stir regularly and cook for 5 minutes.
- 30.1g protein
- 78.2g carbs
- 34.8g fat