When I think about summer foods, the dishes that I’m craving from June through September, are always meals that I imagine to be bursting with colour. I think of fresh greens, sweet yellows and fiery reds. That’s precisely what this Thai inspired noodle salad is; a veritable rainbow of colours and flavours.
I love a tofu dish, especially when prepared in this way. When you coat the tofu in flour, it’s almost like you’re battering it, and becomes super crispy. Then the sugars, thanks to the agave syrup, caramelise when the sauce hits the heat of the pan. The sauce becomes all sticky and coats the tofu creating a sticky, crispy, delicious tofu bite! This dish also contains one of my all-time favourite unexpected flavour combos; lime and mango. There is an extra sweetness in the mango that the lime tangy emphasises. This meal is bursting with flavours and textures!
Although Freya and I named this dish as Thai inspired, it’s important to say that it’s inspired by the Thai food we get here in the UK. I can’t argue the authenticity of this salad but, I can definitely vouch for its deliciousness! I would absolutely love to learn more about proper authentic Thai food; Freya and I share this dream of travelling all throughout south-east Asia. Taking cooking classes, and soaking up as much as we can about the local cuisine as we explore.
Our vegan Thai inspired noodle salad may not be strictly authentic, but it’s 100% delicious summer in a bowl! If you’re looking for healthy, flavourful and exciting food, then we’re sure you’ll love this dish.
Vegan Thai Inspired Noodle Salad
- 1 block firm tofu, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp agave syrup
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 + 1/2 tsp sriracha
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 packs (servings) noodles
- 1/4 red cabbage, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/2 red pepper, finely sliced
- 1/2 green pepper, finely sliced
- 1/4 cucumber, finely sliced into batons
- 2 spring onion, sliced
- 1 mango, sliced
- 1/3 cup toasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup coriander, roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- spring onion
- Make the tofu sauce by adding the olive oil, ginger paste, garlic paste, agave syrup, lime, sriracha, salt and pepper to a bowl, then stir until combined. Heat some oil in a non-stick frying pan. Whilst the oil is heating up, coat the tofu in flour then quickly add it to the hot pan. You don’t want the tofu to be sat around with the flour on as it doesn’t crisp up as well. Cook the tofu for 15 minutes, regularly turning the tofu pieces so each side gets crispy.
- Whilst the tofu is cooking make the peanut dressing. Mix peanut butter, soy sauce, water, cider vinegar and maple syrup in a bowl then set to one side.
- A few minutes before your tofu is done, cook the noodles, then add them to a large mixing bowl with the red cabbage, carrot, red pepper, green pepper, cucumber, spring onion, mango, peanuts and coriander. Pour in the peanut sauce and stir everything together so that all the veggies and noodles are combined and the sauce has covered all the ingredients.
- Plate up the salad, then top with the tofu, some fresh coriander, radish, peanuts and a wedge of lime.
If you gave this a go, we’d love to know how you got on! Write a comment, like, or share this recipe with your friends.