A fresh side salad perfect for your next BBQ
This vegan side salad will be your next go to recipe for a BBQ or picnic. It’s fresh, vibrant and full of flavour, we think you’ll love it!
BBQ season is just around the corner, so we’re already thinking of all the delicious things we’re going to cook up next time we have a lovely sunny day. A lot of the focus when it comes to barbequing is usually on what goes on the BBQ itself, and rightly so, it is the main event after all! However, people often tend to forget all about the dishes that go on the side. We absolutely love letting veggies shine, and we think a deliciously fresh, vibrant side salad is the best way to do this. This side salad is bursting with colour and flavour. It’s so vibrant and fresh, meaning it’s great to balance out those smokey more ‘meaty’ flavours from your barbequed food. It’s got juicy orange, sweet beets, crunchy carrots, kale, chicory and some little chickpeas for added protein. We’ve also added a delicious orange vinaigrette dressing and some chopped pistachios to finish off the dish.
An easy no-cook side salad ready in 20 minutes
What’s great about this salad is that it doesn’t require any cooking time. It’s all in the preparation and the final stage of bringing all the ingredients together. We’ve suggested that you use pre-cooked beetroot for ultimate ease, however, if you want to buy raw beetroot, you will need to cook it for this recipe. The whole recipe should only take about 15-20 minutes from start to finish, making it a super easy and simple vegan recipe.
This vegan BBQ salad is:
- an easy vegan recipe
- super quick, ready in under 20 minutes
- vegan, dairy-free and gluten-free
- fresh and vibrant
- full of delicious veggies
For your next BBQ, why not try these recipes too:
Easy Orange, Beetroot & Chicory BBQ Side Salad (Vegan)
- 1 large handful of kale hard stems removed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 lemon juice
- 250 g cooked beetroot cut into cubes
- 1 + 1/2 oranges peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 large carrot grated
- 2 heads of chicory
- 1/2 400g can chickpeas drained
- 1/4 cup pistachios chopped
- juice of half an orange
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 lemon juice
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Add the kale to a bowl, sprinkle in the salt and squeeze in the lemon juice. Using your hands, massage the salt and lemon into the kale. This helps to soften the leaves.
- Toss all the salad ingredients together in a bowl (kale, beetroot, orange, carrot, chicory and chickpeas).
- Make the dressing by mixing orange juice, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice and maple syrup.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and top with chopped pistachios. Serve and enjoy!
- 4.1g protein
- 18.8g carbs
- 3.3g fat