Spiced vegetable skewers that are perfect for sharing.
Freya and I are big fans of the British BBQ season. It doesn’t come around often here in the UK, and it doesn’t last for long. That means, in the summer, when the sun is shining, we take every opportunity to try out both classic favourites, like the humble vegetable skewer, and our latest BBQ recipes. This new BBQ recipe we created is a twist on a classic; the vegetable kebab. Our veggie skewers are marinated in lovely Indian aromatic spices, and they’re just as delicious as they sound.
Vegetable skewers made using delicious veggies and tofu.
We decided to make these using cauliflower, aubergine, onion and tofu. The cauliflower is a staple ingredient in both vegan BBQ and Indian dishes, so we knew it had to be in this recipe. I love when you cook it on a BBQ like this; it still retains some of its bite and texture. It’s a great partner with the softer aubergines and protein-packed tofu.
A twist on the classic BBQ vegetable skewer kebab.
Although this may not be strictly authentic Indian cuisine, we think our BBQ fusion food is ideal for sharing with friends. The marinade is easy to make in advance, so you can prep most of it to save time. Simply leave the vegetables marinating in the fridge for a day or so, absorbing up all the lovely flavours.
This vegetable skewer recipe is:
- Quick and easy
- Vegan, gluten-free & dairy-free
- A twist on an on classic, the vegetable skewer
- Perfect for sharing with friends
If you liked this recipe then why not try:
- Vegan Chicken Tikka Onion Bhaji Burger
- Warming Maple Roasted Winter Veg Salad
- Homemade Vegan BBQ Sauce recipe – Simple and Easy
Indian Inspired Vegan BBQ Skewers
- 1 block tofu cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cauliflower cut into florets
- 2 white onions cut into chunks
- 1 aubergine cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 tbsp vegan yoghurt
- 2 tbsp rice bran oil
- 1 whole lime juiced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Add the vegan yoghurt, rice bran oil, lime juice, cumin, garam masala, turmeric, salt and pepper to a mixing bowl and stir together.
- Add the tofu, aubergine, white onion and cauliflower to the bowl and carefully stir so that the marinade has covered all the pieces. Make sure you stir gently so the onion pieces don’t fall apart.
- Leave to one side to marinate for 15 minutes.
- Then push the pieces onto some skewers, there should be enough for 8 skewers, so spread the aubergine, cauliflower, onion and tofu out evenly between all the skewers.
- Place on the BBQ and cook for 20 minutes, flipping occasionally so that all sides have been on the grill.