These mushrooms on toast are full of flavour and so quick to make!
Out of all the recipes that we’ve created for our blog, more often than not, the simpler meals are my favourites. Don’t get me wrong, I love spending hours in the kitchen cooking up a feast, but the meals that don’t require overcomplicated techniques or ingredients that are difficult to source are almost more satisfying. Focusing on a few simple ingredients and making them sing, often creates some of the best tasting results too, with the least amount of effort! This mushroom on toast recipe is a perfect example of this. It’s three simple steps that take no longer than 15 minutes altogether, and the result is delicious!
The miso and tahini do a lot of the heavy lifting in the flavour department.
Mushrooms on toast is already a classic, so we wanted to put our little spin on it. Two of our favourite flavours at the moment are tahini and miso, and they just happen to be delicious together! They create a beautiful blend of earthy umami saltiness that’s quite unique. Our local supermarket has started selling more varieties of miso paste, and although red miso is a personal favourite, the white miso is excellent for this recipe (but either would work).
These mushrooms on toast have a lovely balance of earthy and sweet
We’ve also used agave syrup in this recipe, simply because it’s mild in flavour, so it adds a simple balancing sweetness. You could easily sub this out for something like maple syrup without too much difference in flavour.
A crusty sourdough is ideal for these creamy mushrooms on toast.
Any good crusty bread will do, but a robust sourdough is even better. It’s all about the texture with the mushrooms, the mix of the crunchy bread with the creamy soft mushrooms is proper nice.
This recipe has quickly become one of my favourite weekend brunches.
We’ve made it a couple of times since shooting the videos and pictures, which is honestly a rare thing. Often we’ll become overly saturated with the meals we make for the blog, simply because we like to recipe test before the shoot to make sure it’s perfect. But not with these mushrooms on toast! I’m still craving them even while writing this post.
This recipe is:
- Quick and easy
- 100% vegan
- Ideal for weekday breakfast
- And perfect for weekend brunches
If you liked this why not try:
Super Creamy Vegan Tahini Mushrooms on Toast
For the miso mushrooms
- 2 tbsp dairy-free butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 400 g mini portobello mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp miso paste white
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp agave syrup
- 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
For the whipped tahini yoghurt
- 125 g silken tofu
- 125 g vegan yoghurt dairy-free greek style
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp agave syrup
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
For the toppings
- 8 slices bread sourdough prefered
- cress for garnishing
- parsley fresh
- sesame seeds
- Make the whipped tahini yoghurt by whisking together the silken tofu, dairy-free yoghurt and tahini. Then stir in the salt, pepper, agave syrup and white wine vinegar. Leave to one side whilst you cook the mushrooms.
- Heat the dairy-free butter and olive oil in a pan, then add in the mushrooms and garlic. Cook for a few minutes. In a small bowl mix the miso, tahini, soy sauce, white wine vinegar and agave, then add to the mushrooms and stir to coat.
- Toast your bread, then spread over a generous amount of the whipped tahini yoghurt and top with the miso mushrooms. Sprinkle over the cress and herbs.