I think this toastie is up there as one of Freya’s best creations!
I have to give all the credit to Freya for coming up with this incredible vegan toastie! Since we created this recipe, it has been my absolute favourite sandwich to make at home. And, even though it may seem a little bit involved to make, it’s 100% worth the effort.
To make this toastie, we use our sun-dried tomato and black olive pesto. This kind of pesto is perfect for a toastie like this because it’s got some delicious earthy flavours that compliment the salty feta and peppery rocket. Our favourite bread to use is, of course, a couple of thick slices of white sourdough, but any type of chunky white bread would work perfectly.
A couple of vegan toastie tips:
Our favourite vegan feta to use is the Violife greek white block. We prefer this to something like the Cauldron Gree-Style cubes simply because it melts so well. To get it to go extra melty, try adding just a couple of drops of water to the pan as you cook the toastie and cover it with a plate or a lid. The small amount of steam created inside will circulate the heat better and make the cheese even more delicious and melty.
When cutting the courgette strips at home, aim to get them around 5mm or 3/16th of an inch thick. To begin with, this may seem a little too thick and slightly rigid, but they will hold up well when cooking in the griddle pan and go lovely and soft once cooked. All the elements in this toastie can make it quite a large stack, so make sure to take care when flipping it. I’ve found giving it a little push with the back of a spatula before flipping helps to glue everything together with the melty cheese.
We hope you love this vegan toastie treat!
This epic toasted sandwich makes a delicious brunch, or even sometimes if I’ve worked up a bit of an appetite, I’ll have it as a nice late afternoon snack. Whenever you enjoy it, we expect you’ll adore this vegan toastie as much as we do!
This toastie recipe is:
- Simple and easy
- Full of delicious flavours
- Perfect for brunch
If you liked this recipe why not try:
- Simple Vegan Bacon, Cranberry And Camembert Cheese Toastie
- Homemade Pesto Recipe – Sun-dried Tomato & Black Olive Pesto
- Super Green Kale And Walnut Pesto
Grilled Courgette & Vegan Feta Toastie
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- 2 courgette strips cut lengthways
- 2 slices of bread
- vegan butter
- 25 g vegan feta
- 10 g pine nuts toasted
- squeeze of lemon
- sundried tomato black olive pesto
- Cook your courgette strips with a little oil in a grill pan
- Butter both side of your bread. Once the courgettes are cooked, layer up the toastie ingredients. First spread the pesto, then add the vegan bacon slices, then the vegan camembert, the top with the second slice of bread.
- Place the toasty in a hot pan and fry for 2 minutes, then flip and fry for a further 2 minutes.